Saturday, November 14, 2009

FUNEREAL
I guess it's as creepy as taking a photo of a corpse at a funeral (which I actually did at my father's funeral, thinking his sister might want to see proof that her brother was nicely laid out but I never sent the photos on), but I photographed the remnants of the tree trimming.  At the same time, in a kind of funeral gesture, I dumped a bucket of old lei into the stream.  The disposal of lei, the beautiful Hawaiian gesture of aloha that ultimately results in strings of dead flowers and leaves, is problematic. It is disturbing to see a lei tossed in a trash bin. I am told that they should be reverently returned to their source, to nature.  If they can cut down my trees, I don't think anyone can complain if I dump my accumulated old lei into the stream. So here, the dried remnants float away.



And then I documented the corpses and skeletons of the trees.






This one below is actually three branches from the same trunk.  It is huge. It will be a major effort to remove it.



What was everyone thinking?

No comments: