Saturday, November 14, 2009

ACCEPTANCE
Working through my resentment at the tree removals, I find other things to look at.  I can now observe clearly the raging stream of muddy water coming down from the mountains as a result of recent rainy weather.


Sorry the image is not as clear as could be, I don't have a telephoto lens on my trusty little Casio EXILIM.

Insider information provided to me has indicated that liability was not the real issue in these tree sacrifices. (Really, that's what we have insurance for.)  The problem was partly that there were people who do not share our view, both literal and not, of the trees...they want a sort of controlled presentation of nature: those trees are in the way of modern order.  And there is the nature jingoist camp: the albizia is not a native tree!  (Like what is NATIVE in Hawaii anyway?) There is a school of thought that claims that anything that didn't get here on its own (through surf wash-up or bird droppings) is a non-native species. Thus, got to go.  Illegal alien. No passport, deportation. Bring on the chain saw.

Several years ago, when I worked for an environmental education non-profit,  I was privileged to visit one of the last remaining truly native places in Hawaii, a Nature Conservancy-preserved Hawaiian rainforest on Maui, on the north slope of Haleakala.  It is very beautiful, spiritual really, but it is odd.  The native Hawaiian rainforest is upside down: all the biodiversity is on the bottom, there is nothing reaching to the heavens.

In this ideological environmental struggle, there are concessions made about endemic (as opposed to invasive) species.  Endemics are acceptable, like coconut palms (the pathetic replacements for our albizias) because they were brought by native people, in the period pre-contact with Westerners.  So pigs and coco palms are endemic and acceptable. Although everyone agrees that wild pigs are a nuisance (but delicious--they can be hunted only with dogs and a bow and arrow).

If you come to Hawaii you will wonder why there are coconut palms high up in the mountains; the coconut is supposed to wash up on the shore and root itself.  It is said that a coconut was planted wherever a wild pig was killed. (And where did those pigs come from?)  Whether this is to propitiate some spirit, or to signal that "pigs have been found in this area" is not clear to me.  I am treading on sensitive territory here.

In my mind though, the bottom line is that in the larger scheme of things, a tree is a tree.  My albizias were really well established.  (Huge trunks, like this one, more than 4 feet from top to bottom.)


And I miss the beauty of the treetops, the birds coming and going in the branches, the fragrance of the blossoms that kept bees busy.  I am told the people (i.e., the condo board members, think "Congress") who voted for the removal of the trees do not live in or on my side of the building. Democracy in action. (I have often thought that if we want to present American-style democracy to the world, we should just invite a few of the potential converts to a condo board meeting.  Then we'll see what happens!)

3 comments:

The Crow said...

My new neighbour moved onto his five acres of forest, and a week later there was no more forest.
I stood stunned at the carnage, the desolation, the scorched-earth of so many homes and habitat for so many creatures. Not to mention the trees themselves.
He kills fish for his living, on an industrial scale. His property is already a boatyard filled with giant workshops, machines and vehicles...
Across the road is me, on my five acres. Of forest. Of deer. and raccoons, birds of all kinds, frogs, dragonflies, flowers...
Try as I will: I can think of nothing to say to him.
What can you say?

baroness radon said...

Can't say much of anything, except I feel your pain and bewilderment. Similar thing happened to me in Appalachia, coal country, where most of the deep mines were exhausted and the only thing left was surface mining, stripping. Early one Saturday morning our neighbor began clearing a scrubby wooded parcel adjacent to ours, through which we had access to the main road-- mixed with the smell of the bulldozer exhaust was the fragrance of wild blueberries. He told us we could get a court order to stop him, but by the time we could make a phone call, he was done.

Subsequently the whole area, including our 6 acres with the acre of garden we had organically turned productive and where we buried our dog and which we sold (not to the stripper) and left many years ago, has been completely cleared and now is the site of a prison. Really.

Thanks for visiting my blog. RT has created a community.

The Crow said...

"RT has created a community."

Indeed.
An obvious point I had somehow completely overlooked.
Nice one :)