Friday, December 03, 2010

MOONCALF-ISH?
What have I learned from Korean drama? Some King's English!

While watching Muhyul, (at right) via dramafever.com (highly recommended), I have been enjoying subtitles that are by and large grammatically excellent, well punctuated, and I can only hope, more or less accurate. The subtitling team actually takes credit for its work. (The Written in the Heavens Subbing Squad, aka WITHS2). But there is a curious tendency, like in the King James Bible, written the way it is to emphasize antiquity, to employ terms that I'm not sure even Shakespeare ever penned. Certainly nothing I've ever used, lyrical epithets, some of which you may recognize, but others which sent me to my OED. I hope to work some of these into corporate memos and telephone conversations:
  • you anserine...innoxious ...undextrous... dullards
  • you miserable begonians
  • you yeasty slattern
  • those facile runagates
  • you inutile (not a word I can find, but perhaps a pesky Taoist)
  • you fatuitous man
  • he's a pertinacious specimen
  • you ruthful nimwit
  • you wretched dotard
  • he's a felonious scapegrace
  • those comiserable rapscallions
All of these are usually repsonses to questions like:

What is this audacious pertness? Why did you beguile me with such:
  • mendacious trifle
  • dastardly prodigality
  • heedless nimiety
  • shady celerity
  • uncanny diabliery

At which point a warning may be issued that someone will "cark himself "(or perhaps, "cark you!"), asking forgivenss of his "peccancy," excusing himself to "micturate" while "perlustrating the intelligence." (I think this might mean taking a piss while considering the state secrets he has been entrusted with and possibly divulged.)

In light of such "ludicrous jabberwocky," due to a "fruit of my misreckoning," a battle fails despite someone having sent "oodles of troops." (Though that last one must have come during a quick ramen lunch away from the Oxford Korean-English Dictionary of Archaicisms.)

But my favorite phrase is "you harebrained mooncalf" which I have been employing recently as an acronym, HBMC.

Which is what I was wondering if I was, hoping not, when I noticed on my very cool iPad app called Luan, which puts the phases of the moon at one's fingertips, that today --my birthday (or as a spiritually inclined friend put it, the anniversary of my incarnation) --is the last waning crescent moon, which precedes the dark moon of Saturday, and the new moon on Sunday. I wasn't sure what a dark moon was but according to Wikipedia it is "the moon during that time that it is invisible against the backdrop of the sun in the sky. The duration of a dark moon is between 1.5 and 3.5 days, depending on the orientation of the Earth and Sun.

"In astronomicial usage, the new moon occurs in the middle of this period, when the moon and sun are in conjunction. This definition has entered popular usage, so that calendars will typically indicate the date of the 'new moon' rather than the 'dark moon.' However, originally 'new moon' referred to the crescent on the first night it is visible, one or two days after conjunction. Maritime records from the nineteenth century distinguish the dark moon (no moon) from the new moon (young crescent)."

The darkmoon, also called the dead moon (kinda creepy following my birthday) is regarded as preparation for the new beginning that begins with the new crescent.

So, I'm wondering if I'm just a harebranined mooncalf for paying any attention to this, or is it kind of cool. Old age is new age?

Speaking of Muhyul, (Jumong/Haesin Redux) it's everything I hoped for. Lots of Song Il-guk, on a horse, shooting arrows, gazing into his doomed lover's eyes, mowing down everyone with a sword. Well, if this gets me going, I guess I'm not THAT old.



Jumong & Haesin (Muhyul above)

3 comments:

sunny said...

Hello, I smiled all the way through the subtitle list and had to look up 'anserine' in my own OED. Perhaps 'inutile' is from the French for 'useless'.
As for the harebrained mooncalf, the OED has one quote, "The moone calfes in the womb, which fall out often" that could perhaps be used as a Korean subtitle.

baroness radon said...

I thought that about "inutile" too.
My ordinary dictionary defines "mooncalf" as a fool from birth.
You know, I'm not really making fun (no, I guess I am) but I love these dramas; I wonder if I would find them as entertaining if I actually understood Korean!
Thanks for reading.

the fool said...

Harebrained.
Nothing comes close to this word for its sheer pernicaciousnesslessness of impecunitiarinalisticalism.