Wednesday, September 22, 2010

FAITHFUL FULL MOON
I thought I was going to miss it. Was at Costco getting my usual 84 pounds of cat litter and came out of the warehouse to see beautiful sunset-kissed pink clouds over the Ko'olau range to the east. I turned my back to load the cat litter and when I looked again, the clouds had gone grey.

Driving home, I was probably a little inattentive, looking for signs of the moon through the clouds, but when I turned into my complex I caught my breath. There it was, directly in front of me, touchable almost. Not easily photographed with a phone camera.

I stopped at the gate and told the security guard, "Wait 'til you see that moon!"

"Huh? Is it full tonight?"

I thought everyone knew that stuff, and everyone I told in the elevator was equally indifferent. Most people have become so disconnected with the rhythms of nature, the magic show, and even more so when there is a big flourish like this equinox/full moon simultaneity. Lots of doors open in the apartments -- it is very hot and humid -- and lots of big flat screen TVs playing.

But I think the real action is outside on the really big screen of the sky. I keep pointing, but hardly anyone seems to care about my finger or the moon.

But, when I opened my own door, I dragged the Wizard outside to see it. "Wait, I have something for you, too," he said, presenting me with two tickets to next Tuesday's Chinese Moon Festival performance at the Hawaii Theatre. How cool is that? He says he may not be able to make it; a dentist appointment that day may interfere. And I have a dentist appointment on the next new moon, but probably auspicious; you can only fill something when it's empty.

But tonight, it's fuller than full!

4 comments:

The Crow said...

"The Really Big Screen of The Sky".
That's a lovely line!

The Moon was everywhere: I saw the same moon as you did, but mine was accompanied by the hair-raising hoots of Barred Owls and the almost silent rustling of bats.
My hearing has finally deteriorated into the normal range of a 12 year old: I no longer hear their search-radars.
Now its raining hard, but I slept really well last night. Nothing looks half as bad when one is not dog-tired.
I love your writing :)

baroness radon said...

Yes, it was a good night, woke at 3:30 to moon-gaze; it was still and cool and quiet and smelled really good. Nice to share the moon.

Thanks for the compliments..."absurdly ordinary" must not be so bad!

The Crow said...

Did I really say "absurdly ordinary"?
I may well have done.
I have that renown.
But if - in fact - I did, it must have been essential in order to save the universe from a fatal condition, that I alone was in a position to identify, and rectify.
That is the only reason I might have said it, other than simply being unnecessarily rude :)

baroness radon said...

Actually, I think I'm absurdly ordinary...or ordinarily absurd. I appreciate your comments very much!