Friday, June 25, 2010

ALOHA FRIDAY
After a long challenging week at the office, could I ask for a more beautiful welcome home than this, the view from my front door?

Just answered the default call from the Wizard on his way home, "I'm at the grocery store..."

"Milk and gin...and tonic."  After three weeks home from my China dream, having endured back-to-work,  I need a G&T.  Otherwise I will drink all the Wizard's Jameson's and that will disturb him.  When it comes to whisky, I'm actually a Speyside Scotch connoisseur, but I have learned to appreciate the chocolate notes that ride on top of the cat piss taste in this Irish.  It's great in coffee.

"Couldn't get the cheap stuff, the regular Bombay, had to get Sapphire."  Cheap stuff to me is Gordon's (I like the label) or in Hong Kong, the VERY cheap King Robert.  But Sapphire!

Martini time!  Fortunately, I have some Martini and Rossi vermouth on the shelf, and some olives in the fridge, which also features a terrific ice maker. And a nice cocktail shaker.  And a nice martini glass that has a blue tint in its stem that echoes the Sapphire bottle.  In this regard, I am a purist.

Six parts gin and one part vermouth.  Aloha Friday!

2 comments:

The Crow said...

I don't drink much, if at all, although I was once a single-malt aficionado.
However: I do keep an untouched bottle of Bombay Sapphire on the window ledge, simply to admire the wonderful colour, the shape of the bottle, and the endearing portrait of HRH Queen Victoria :)

BTW: Although I don't often comment, I always enjoy your exquisitely-written posts.

baroness radon said...

Bless you, Crow, you made my day! But please keep that Sapphire on hand, (I think gin keeps well). I just might turn up at your doorstep one day to make you an exquisite Martini...no vodka!

The BEST booze --Scotch, Irish, gin, and beers of all colors-- comes from the UK! Tsingtao is great (but really a German lager) and I like a nice unrefined sake, but King Robert and Queen Victoria can't be beat..

Incidentally, I am deep into a Korean period (~37 B.C.) 81 episode soap opera, "Jumong," really good, in which the hero is perceived by sorcerers/shamans as a three-legged crow.