Tuesday, March 23, 2010

FROM 8 TO 88
I thought 8 was a lucky number, and doubly 88, but maybe not. I see a sad story, not the ubiquitous school shooting in the US, but a school stabbing, killing 8 children, in China:

And here at home, a woman, 88, is stabbed to death by her own daughter (unfortunately, aged 61, she  should have contemplated Tao #61, and I don't mean my blogs)

According to the international story,
"China has witnessed a series of school attacks in recent years, most blamed on people with personal grudges or suffering from mental illness, leading to calls for improved security."
Well, I guess. Who would do such things if not out of a grudge or because they're just plain nuts. This all suggests to me that the world's people are behaving like rats in a cage.  I think this happens when there are just too many of us, competing for too few resources--by which I mean not only or even material needs and pleasures, but unlimited space, uncalculated time, freedom, silence, and solitude.  I expect to see more of the same.

The luck of 8--which has to do with prosperity--won't save us.

1 comment:

Suecae Sounds said...

That is such a complex issue. Generally though, I believe that a simplified analysis of the problem such as has been the case in american school shootings leads never really adresses the issues at hand.

Thanks for an interesting view.