Wednesday, August 19, 2009

LIFE GOES ON
(updated August 28, 2009)

After a period of intense lethargy, probably due to the failed hurricane and subsequent tropical depression, things are recovering. Yang is rising.

I was delighted to see the return of one of my favorite bloggers. Despite notices of last post "3 days ago...3 weeks ago...3 months ago...", I am glad I did not despair and remove him from my blog list. I missed his strange pictures and interesting music and movie links .My speculations were not all correct: he's not French, but English, and he was a patient, not a doctor. I wish him well and a good recovery.
----
I had been worried because for a week I hadn't seen the returned kolea I spotted earlier this month; I thought perhaps she left like a too-early arrival to a party, hanging out in the bar until the event really started rocking or just waiting in the parking lot to make a less obvious entrance with a group. Maybe she was disgusted by the dry lawns where the community exercises their dogs. But this morning, and several since, I spotted her and others in other locations, so they really are back. I drive slowly out of my complex looking for them, but I have a feeling birdwatching may be more dangerous than the hands-on cell-phone use that has been banned. I almost ran smack into a dumpster that was parked unexpectedly right in the middle of the street.

Once I got safely to work, at Starbuck's someone sprung for my latte, a nice gesture.

The cup had a message:

"YOU. Bought 228 million pounds of responsibly grown, ethically traded coffee last year."

(Then why am I not more alert?)

It goes on to point out that 65 percent of Starbucks coffee is bought in this manner, suggesting that 35 percent is NOT responsibly grown or ethically traded. Strange message. I need to start drinking tea again.

No comments: