Friday, July 03, 2009

AH, THE IRONY

I was just reading an item in the June 18 Newsweek about a reviewer's conflicted purchase of a Blu-ray player in order to fully enjoy Neil Young's recently released Archives, 10 discs of music, video and extras. Thinking of my rant yesterday about hands-free cell phone paraphernalia, I was amused that not only paying $300 for the discs, but an additional $350 for the player was thought to be worth it. (If you go to that Newsweek link above, note how very much Neil Young resembles House M.D., or the other way around, if you will.)

As I recall it was Neil Young who famously and adamantly whined (or was he singing?) when the CD began to take over recorded music in place of traditional vinyl. It was something about the extra noise you get from the record, missing from the CD. (More likely it was the clarity of the CD which made Neil Young sound even worse than he does...good song writer, but I really can't stand to hear him sing.)

Of course, if it was Bob Dylan (whose voice I know offends lots of people) I would probably pony up for a Blu-ray in a minute.

1 comment:

The Superfluous Blogger said...

thank you. thank you for hating neil young's voice with me.

i think i have a jazz cd where they kept 'ye olde fashioned static sound' in it. it is cute for about a minute, then you think 'for the love of pete. didn't anyone want to clean that up?'

and it is a pity that one of my favourite comedy performers resembles one of my least favourite singers.