Saturday, October 30, 2010

HERE AND THERE
And everywhere. In the midst of enjoying "Rosy Business," a superb HK TVB series set during the Taiping Rebellion in Wuxi, in Cantonese with English subtitles, I watched for the sixth time Wong Kar Wai's "Ashes of Time," the movie that really got me interested in wuxia and the martial arts genre, done in Mandarin with a convoluted plot and an outstanding cast that never bores. It was Tiny Tony Leung (Chiu Wai) I actually sought out the movie for, but it also includes Tall Tony Leung Kar Fei, Brigitte Lin, three Cheungs (Maggie & Jacky & Leslie) and Carina Lau, Tiny Tony's wife. Talk about all-star cast!

But like some kind of addict, I return to Korea for The Slave Hunters...subtitles for which must have been translated by someone with a really unusual dictionary.

"ferine little twerps"..."wobbling like a parturient wench"..." "her fugacious smile" ..."cunning little varlet"... Who talks like this?

The subtitler must use the "Special Oxford Korean-English Dictionary for Asian Drama for Westerners." I enjoy all these things to expand my mind, (never mind the swashbuckling swordsmen), picking up Mandarin, Cantonese and to a lesser extent, Korean. But I never thought I would be expanding my own English vocabulary!

If you don't know these words, just look them up. You'll learn more that way than if I just tell you what they mean.

I think I may have use for "cunning varlet" at work this week.

2 comments:

YTSL said...

Sounds like you combine my mother's and my viewing passions! E.g., my mother is a K-drama addict while I love Hong Kong cinema -- with "Ashes of Time" being in my top 5 movies (of all time and from anywhere) list. :)

baroness radon said...

Indeed! "Ashes of Time" is a desert island film...assuming I had a DVD player with me.

I am just about to write about "Lobbyist", K-D, which I finished last night. There's a reason we call this an addiction.

And I have been entertaining a little fantasy of a love triangle with me, Vincent Zhao and Song Il-guk...

And speaking of viewing passions, also Mr. B's photos.

Thanks for visiting Tao 61.