Thursday, July 15, 2010

JUMONG and SOCCER
It's like the end of an era! Finished the 81-episode (the same number of verses in the Tao Te Ching) Korean historical epic Jumong last night and feel like I ought to have a post-season party. Bring on the kim chee and Korean BBQ hot wings!

I noticed that in June 22, 2006, just four weeks into its first TV run in Korea, Jumong achieved a 30% rating share, even during the FIFA World Cup. So history repeats itself (which may be one of the themes of the drama). In my house, just four years later, it got a 100% rating share, totally eclipsing the World Cup, which I never would have paid any attention to anyway. (Soccer, right?)

If I want to see hordes of buff men running around a field trying to score points for their team (and who doesn't?), I kinda prefer the beautifully costumed swordsmen, archers and horsemen with flying hair and topknots to the athletes dressed like toddlers kicking a ball around a stadium. (Although I do notice that guy to the left has a pretty nice ponytail.) To say nothing of the drama's political intrigue and suspense of kingdoms rising and falling, uniting and splitting, and romance with strong women contributing in their own way. Of course, I guess soccer fans find all this in the World Cup, too. (Those romantic Beckhams!)

Yes, history repeating itself...Jumong's extremely popular Song Il Gook/Guk/Kook (above, right) plays his character's own grandson in the drama that picks up more or less where Jumong left off. Maybe I'll catch it during the next World Cup.

I'M MY OWN GRANDPA

In the meantime, it's time to read a book.

1 comment:

baroness radon said...

Today's deleted Chinese spam comment:

Is to have inspiring stories to share Ah ~ thanks much