Wednesday, March 19, 2008

DARK THOUGHTS WHILE DRIVING

Woke at 4 a.m.with a major yin anxiety attack wondering if I actually submitted the proposals I spent all day yesterday preparing for a midnight deadline and which could net the company a couple hundred thousand dollars. Log on to the submission site to find out all is okay, "There is no submit button, all proposals will be automatically uploaded at closing time." Back to bed after putting hydrocortisone on the new scratch from Lao Hu, the Yellow Emperor, who sneaked up behind me as I limped out of my study; the plantar's fasciitis is especially bad after being in bed. Then some prone breathing exercises to sleep and bring on a dream in which I was leading a marketing team trying to come up with a name for a food concession. Brainstorming in the dream yielded "Chic Chompers." French fast food maybe?

On the commute to work, contemplating the silence since I have been sans radio for about two months after it was stolen for the third time in 15 years (it's an old, but fun, car). I wonder if I should even bother to get a new one installed. A habit of silence can be attractive, no anxiety from right wing ranting and leftist lament, but time to think and just enjoy mindful driving. During time of war and political campaigns, silence can be golden: rare and precious. But I fear with a radio I will tune in again, breaking the non-listening habit I adopted after my Wudang Taoist retreat. Can I resist? I don't HAVE to turn it on. (It'll be iPod-ready and we do have fine classical and jazz stations.)

And can I continue to resist meat and alcohol, part of a routine fast begun at the Chinese New Year? I will be preparing a traditional sacrificial leg of lamb on Easter Sunday and in the fridge there is a bottle of Mumm's that's been chilling since Christmas, calling my name. Can I just observe a feast day and then return to fasting? How long does it take a new habit to become an established one? Which is the real habit?

As I am alone with my strange lunar pre-Easter/Ching Ming thoughts in the car, I wonder about those SUVs and trucks with memorial messages in olde English on their rear windows: "In loving memory of father/brother/son/mom, 1953-2006." Was the vehicle purchased as part of an inheritance? In there an urn of remains in a supersized cupholder? Is this only a Hawaii thing? Is this an extension of the creepy and tasteless roadside shrines at fatal accident sites, marked with balloons and teddy bears and deteriorating or plastic flowers? Is that even legal? Come to think of it, I saw some of those in Florida, which probably explains something.

I would hope that no one would put up such a shrine for me should I meet my fate on the road. But if one was so compelled, a taiji, a stuffed plush camel, and maybe Tibetan prayer flags would do. And on the car, a simple sign in Helvetica that says, "Just move on."

2 comments:

uhu said...

Intersting your view of IN LOVING MEMORY..I never saw this until I was in Hawaii and the occupant was usually Filipino..the ashes in the Big Gulp cup are probably at home on top of the TV..the inheritance of the actual vehicle or money left behind - which one who knows ...the mobile gravestone...sure saves on cemetary space...funny would you really want to be immortalized on the rear window of a car? then again how American...we think that every one else is actually interested in our personal lives..like you have a sign in your car window with Baby on Board...do you honestly think that would make me pause and go " gosh i can't hit THAT car there is a kid in there" or yaking so loudly into your cel phone that everyone in a mile radius can hear about your brother's trouble with his ex wife. More information than I really care to know.
while the road side graves may have started in Florida.. they are sad reminders that alot of people drive drunk, stoned, too tired, too fast, texting, yaking on a cel phone or any other self absorbed activity that takes their minds the one thing they should be doing - driving

holly said...

i will do this for you. i have always wanted a reason for a camel to be in my car. nice.